Anyone who follows this blog will know that inconsistencies drive me crazy. After a little investigation I realized that this is a widespread problem.
The inconsistencies arise when people from England are in other countries. For instance if you had a book about a man from England who spent his life in Italy the subject heading would read:
$a British $z Italy $vBiography.
There are many instances of the incorrect subject heading entry of:
$a English $z Italy $vBiography.
English is a language and not a people. British is the term used for the people.
I reported this problem to the Library of Congress today. They have 7 things attached to English–Italy–Fiction AND 186 things attached to British–Italy–Fiction. (LC Control Number: sh2007101930)
Of course, you can add any country after the word English and you will likely find it used incorrectly. This is a ‘heads up’ to watch for this problem in your own catalogues. It is very easy to import a record with the incorrect usage. There are a LOT of them out there…
See this LC heading:
001 sh 85043412
008 860211|| anannbab| |a ana |||
010 — |ash 85043412
040 — |aDLC|cDLC|dDLC
150 -0 |aBritish|zIreland
450 -0 |aEnglish in Ireland
I fixed up our catalogue… now it’s your turn 🙂